- Maverick is a maverick! Whether it’s playing volleyball in jeans or disobeying every single order by his commanding officer, Maverick plays by his own rules. He probably never wears a condom, either.
- You see a faceless commie pilot. For some reason these guys don’t have any sweet call signs, like Wolfman or Stinger. Maybe this is some kind of hidden commentary on the depersonification of communism?? No, you say? Ok. GREAT. There goes my thesis.
- Maverick has daddy issues. Don’t worry, he gets closure by (SPOILER ALERT) throwing his dad’s dog tags into the ocean at the end. Wait, those were Goose’s dog tags?? Jesus, what’s wrong with you, Maverick? Surely his wife will want those!
- Men are sweating like crazy. Pretty sure Tony Scott just sprayed mineral oil on all the actors every time they walked through a doorway. As a bonus, here is a recipe for the perfect first date:
- Put on your blue jeans, take off your shirt, and play a good game of sweaty volleyball with your bitter rivals. BUT, and here’s the tricky part, do not under any circumstances allow your best friend to take his shirt off. No one wants to see that.
- Play the game with no regard for what time it is because volleyball is a MAN’S SPORT and you play to win. Do not worry about being late for your date, you play to win.
- After the game, put a shirt on over your glistening, sweating body, hop on your motorcycle and drive to your date. Do not under any circumstances put on a helmet or shower before the date.
- You see an awesome regulation mustache. Of course, Maverick has to break the rules yet again and go for a regulation unibrow instead.
- It’s obvious that fly boys have no respect for personal space and talk WAY too close (or just close enough?). Personally I was hoping this would lead to some sweaty locker room wrestling, a la Red Heat, but it looks like we’ll have to settle for talking so close they are practically kissing.
- Someone wears sunglasses indoors. Double drink if their entire face is covered with sweat.
- There is a sexual innuendo, intentional or otherwise. Bonus points if you can come up with one of your own!
- Drink every time there is extremely graphic silhouetted tongue kissing. Was licking the roof of someone’s mouth a “thing” in the 80’s?
- Pour one out for a pilot’s death, then pour out another for worst bereavement pep talk EVER. Trust me, you’ll need a drink since this third-act shocker carpetbombs the entire movie, and it doesn’t recover until you get to see Iceman in his dress whites.
Find This Movie